maandag, september 27

I saw a humming bird!

imgOh my god!.
What kind of place is this???
I was just out to get Turtle an "almond flavoured steamed milk" and got myself a "small caffee latte" (coffee is horrible here, but Max tells me where the best can be found, 'cause she's an addict too) and I decided to take some time to enjoy the view in the street. It was my first time alone in a San Francisco street.
I noticed more things around me. The shapes of the light posts, the color of the streets, the incredible diversity of apartment buildings, the palm trees (!) the little coffee houses with yummy looking cookies and the scary looking breakfast places, the badly dressed poor people, the kids playing basebal and the many, many hills. There just are no straight streets here, it's always steep. I think I heard San Francisco is built on 49 hills and it shows. The biggest ones are surrounding this city. This also means there are incredible views that remind me of a cross product of the French Riviera, the Italian promenades and old Boston houses.
I walked up a street and passed a big flowery plant when I thought I saw this big insect, but it was a humming bird! (Dutch: kolibri!). They just fly around here in the wild... Awsome!
So I was just sort of being impressed and standing in the street, when all of a sudden a bus stopped to wait for me. I was confused but noticed quite quickly I was standing at a busstop post. They're difficult to recognize sometimes since lots of busstops are just light posts or telephone poles with a yellow band around it...
Today I feel a little bit better - I was having a really yucky cold but I remembered in America you can buy zink lozenges that just instantly cure (I think they're illegal in Holland, so I'll have have to stock up and take a stack with me when I go back, sell them for a high price ofcourse). I am not over my jetlag yet. I have a very strong biological clock, which is good if you don't have an alarm clock but at the same time it's difficult to reset and get used to a time warp.
The weekend was very odd and a little weird sometimes. I'll tell more about that later.
I was not falling in love with the city at all yet, but I think the excitement is finally starting.
Thank you all for reading this and please do keep in touch through the comments.
More soon!

...